Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Toast.

At my cousin's wedding a few weeks ago, my sister and I were sitting listening to the toasts. When the Maid of Honor was speaking, my sister says to me, "Don't ask me to me your Maid of Honor because I'm not giving a toast." I turned and said, "Don't worry because you are and you will." And that began our second (or third?) fight of the weekend. But that's another story for another therapist.

Later on, my mom tells me that I must have misunderstood her, that she simply does not want to speak in front of such a large crowd. Of course I knew what she meant, but I didn't feel that was the time, the place or the manner in which to bring it up.

As of late, I've got to thinking. Who says the Maid of Honor and Best Man have to be the ones to give a toast? How many of you have been at a reception and the most awkward part was the Best Man who stumbles over his words or the Maid of Honor that freezes in the middle of the speech? At my friend's wedding a few years back, the Best Man was the Youth Director at my church, and in front of many of his Middle School and High School students says something about "keeping it between the sheets." My mother and I looked at each other in shock and have never looked at him the same again.

So why not your extremely witty good friend or your cousin who seems to have a way with words? As long as it's special to you, that's all that matters.

No comments: