Tuesday, January 13, 2009

For today, a sound off.

Fair warning for all brides-to-be: know the people you’re working with. Know your wedding vendors, know their personalities, make sure you absolutely mesh.

One thing you don’t want at your wedding is a wedding-day-horror-story. I have yet to witness anything extreme, but recently (or a year ago) at my cousin’s wedding, I experienced a reception hall that was less-than-accommodating.

My mom and I have become cake decorators and we put together a simple and classic cake for my cousin’s big day. When we arrived at the venue, they told us we couldn’t get in until an hour before the reception, contradicting what they had previously told my Aunt and Uncle. Besides the point that we were family and would be at the wedding at that time, my aunt had also asked me to help with wedding ceremony coordination because of my extreme love for them. And it didn’t stop there, they told us we didn’t have enough cake (at the end we had an entire tier and then some left over) and were disgusted to see “amateurs” walking in the door (“you made the cake?”)

And throughout the reception there were other problems. A weird, convoluted way of marking who was eating what made it confusing for our waitress and she threw a hissy fit. And later in the evening I overheard the wait staff complaining about the children attending the reception.


I personally found their behavior unacceptable. It’s the couple’s day. Put on your happy face. They’re paying you good money.

No comments: