Monday, January 12, 2009

Budget-ary concerns. Part II.

My dad thinks spending a lot of money on a wedding that’s “probably not going to last” is ridiculous. I say: way to romanticize marriage, Dad. My feelings on the subject… it’s the one day you get to be the star, the one day all eyes are on you, the one day that really begins the rest of your life with the person that you promise to love forever. What’s the harm in showing your feelings for the love of your life through a big celebration?

My family is big on saving, big on finding great deals. What they’re not big on? Throwing grand affairs. (I often wonder where I really came from.) I want the perfect dress, perfect food, a great cake… a day that all my guests will remember for years to come.

I’ve run the gamut when it comes to weddings. I’ve gone to the extreme wedding with a seven-course meal, four dessert tables, ice sculptures and a crazy-fun band. I’ve also attended my father’s second wedding, where we all wore flowered sundresses, and the reception? It was in our backyard. And of course, every wedding in between.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great to save and spend within your means. That’s why I shop at Forever 21 to buy my $4.80 t-shirts, $5.80 sunglasses, $9.50 shorts and $19.80 denim. It’s the reason I go to Target (or even Walmart) for my cookware. But I don’t believe in sacrificing. I can’t stress enough that this is your day. My stepfather told me recently that when he and my mom were getting married, our pastor told him that he wished he had spent more on his wedding. And that’s coming from a man whose income is based on a congregation’s offering.


I think you should do everything you can to make it the day you’ve always dreamed of. No, I don’t think you should go to the bank and get a loan (who wants to start off their new life in debt?) but I do think if you have the means, go for it.

No comments: